The tradition of artillery in the Town of Concord dates to September, 1774, when cannons from the harbor defense battery in Charlestown were transported to Concord for hiding from the British. A few weeks later, two brass cannon were stolen from the British Gun House on Boston Common and taken to Concord.
On January 5, 1775, the Massachusetts Committee of Safety ordered that two brass cannons belonging to the provincial militia be sent to Concord. On January 27, 1775, the Concord Town Meeting voted to raise “a sufficient number of the company in the town call’d the alarm company [to] take the care of the cannon in this town when mounted, and learn the exercise thereof, and that a master of gunnery be provided by the town to teach such exercise.” Read more about the Concord Independent Battery…
|© 2010 Concord Independent Battery, Inc., Photo Credit: Laura Hirsch, Paul Guthrie Site Design: Harley Freedman|